Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What I like about being fit

There are several reasons that I prefer to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  Every so often, one of them will occur to me, so I thought I might put them all in one spot.  Like here.

- I enjoy the fact that I can run up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath.  This is especially enjoyable when said stairs are in public - like at a mall or at my Park & Ride.  It would be embarrassing to have to take the stairs slowly and be left panting upon reaching the top.

- Similarly, I like being able to engage in a game of "chase" with my son, or to race him to the door of somewhere, ride bikes with him and do all the things that his energy beckons.

-  It is also very important for me to be a good example for him.  I want him to learn that physical fitness and eating well are a priority for a strong, healthy body and what better way to do so than walking the walk.  If I were to enjoy television and potato chips all the time, I would imagine that he would learn the same thing and I don't want that for him.

-Disease.  (Or, lack of)  By taking care of my body... by not smoking, by having good cardio vascular health, maintaining a healthy weight, by eating a diet rich in nutritious, clean foods, I am dramatically reducing my risk of heart attack, heart disease, cancer, stroke and many other diseases and doing what I can to ensure that I around for him as long as possible.

- Vanity.  I'll admit it, one reason for my drive to live a healthy lifestyle is my self image.  When I am carrying extra LB's, I am self conscious, I hate how I look in pictures (well, in general but these times I tend to avoid the mirror and really notice my weight in photos) and I never want to be obese, if there's anything I can do to prevent it.  And right now, I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment