Tuesday, March 6, 2012

His and Hers Dinners

One of my big struggles when it comes to eating is the vast difference between my eating preferences, and my husband's... and my toddler's.  I would prefer to eat all vegan, but my diet is more like pescetarian (mostly made up of vegetables, fruit, whole grains, pasta, nuts, etc... no chicken/beef/lamb/pork, only fish on occasion, dairy on occasion).  My husband is a carnivore with a large appetite and my toddler would love it if he could live on macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets and french fries at every meal.  (although typically we can get him to eat what is served, sometimes it just takes a lot of coaxing)

We prefer to eat dinner as a family obviously, and it's just not ideal to prepare two (or three) totally separate things to serve at one meal.  Even if my husband was more up for cooking his own meal (which is not typically the case) then we'd still have two cooks in the kitchen at once which is difficult, and I still have to meal plan/shop for two different meals for one night, so it's still nearly twice the work.

In our case, there are few options:

1. Have him deal with it and just eat what I cook regardless if he would prefer something else.  
Pros:  Easier for me, and I get to eat what I prefer while also feeding my whole family healthy foods.
Cons:  Hubby likes cheap food, unhealthy/fattening food and meaty food, so in this case dinner leaves him less than satisfied.

If I am going to go this route though, the least I can do is try and make things that are more appealing to him.   I am more than happy with a big fat salad for dinner, but my husband, and son.... not so much, so I won't be putting that on our weekly meal plan any time soon.  If I am going to make something for the whole family, I try and make something that still tastes great and at least resembles a food that he is fond of.  Some things I've made that I know he has liked are:

-*Red Lentil Enchiladas   (basically just using red lentils in lieu of meat)
-*Wild Rice Pub Burgers
-*Vegetarian Chili
-*Pasta with veggies and homemade "cream" sauce.  (milk, flour and seasoning)
-*Spaghetti
-Bean burritos
-Lentil Loaf.  Basically a lentil version of meatloaf.  :)
-Salmon or other fish.  I don't mind eating fish once and a while so that is an option, and Mike can just double up on the fish portion.

2. Make a meal that is versatile/a meal that can be done both ways.
The meals above that are marked with an asterisks, I sometimes make meatless/as described, but sometimes I make them both ways.  On the dishes that have meat them, I will prepare the meat separate and have Mike add it to his own plate.  The others, like burgers & enchiladas, I make meat for his and a meatless variety for mine.  Some other things that can be made versatile are:

-Homemade Pizzas.  Veggies for mine, canadian bacon for his.
-Tacos.  Ground beef/regular tacos for him and then I either make a taco salad and use Morningstar meatless crumbles, or I just use beans, salsa, green peppers, guacamole... all the mexican fixings.
-Fajitas.  Have portobello mushrooms, onions and bell peppers for me and  chicken or steak for him.  Then all the sides & fixings can be shared.
-Stir Fry or Pad Thai.  I've never made Pad Thai but I found it as a suggestion from a search result, haha.  But both can be made with meat/tofu separately and we can each add it to our own meals.
-Kebobs.  These are more for the summer, but I can make chicken or steak kebobs for Mike, and veggie kebobs for me and throw them on the grill.
  
3. Make two completely separate meals  
This is the case more often than I'd like to admit.  The more acceptable version of this is when I make, say a meat main course with a veggie side and a grain side.  He eats some of everything while I eat the two sides and no meat. 


4. Have him make his own separate meal.
I don't know why but I feel weird about making something that I know full well he doesn't like or won't be satisfied with and making him fend for himself. 


Of these, I really prefer the first and second options.  I am going to need to look in to more versatile meals and meals that are hearty & filling enough for him too.  When I find more, I'll be sure to put them here!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment