Sunday, May 27, 2012

Cashew-Zucchini Soup

I am so excited to post this recipe.  I am fully aware that it is almost summer (today it was actually even 90° in Minnesota) and people don't typically eat soup when it's hot out... but this soup is that good.  A friend of mine is doing the Beachbody Ultimate Reset which this recipe is a part of the meal plan.  She loved it and shared the it with me.  I was in love, too.  So much that I picked up more ingredients to make another batch, and made it the same day.  Now I'm posting it here with my review and variations. 

Here was her original recipe:
"1/4 cup raw cashews (soaked for an hour in enough water to cover them)
1 large or 2 small zucchini (cubed and steamed)
Basil or dill or whatever fresh herb you prefer. I love basil!
Himalayan Salt 

Place all ingredients in blender. Blend to smooth consistency. Add water to desired consistency.
Transfer to saucepan and gently heat. Do not boil. Optional--add extra steamed veggies once your soup is blended -  I used broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, carrots, zucchini.
MAKES ONE SERVING."



So the first time I made it almost exactly like this except I added a few of the steamed broccoli flowerets and cauliflower pieces to the blender when I blended it all up and added the rest at the end.  I also didn't need to heat it at all because the veggies were still hot from being steamed.  Lastly, doubled the recipe because I love leftovers.  After I blended it all up/before I added the extra veggies at the end, I tried a bite of the smooth, creamy bright green mixture, and it was sensational!  It was like it melted in my mouth!!!   Just simple ingredients, healthy vegetables at that.. but the medley made tasted heavenly!  Then I added the extra veggies, and it was awesome.  If you are one of those people who kind of need to "chew" your food in order to feel full (like if you don't feel full from smoothies or shakes) this may be the way to go for you.   I know the bright green color is different, but seriously, this will melt in your mouth!!!




For me, I sort of preferred the smooth, creamy deliciousness that I fell in love with at first bite, and told myself that the next time I made it, I would blend everything.  


Well I had forgotten that I needed to run to the store to pick up some things for a BBQ tomorrow, so while I was there and was buying a huge container of fresh basil for a caprese salad, I decided I would get the other ingredients to make the soup again, tonight... since I had all that basil.  :)   (and really, all I needed to buy besides the basil was 2 zucchinis because I had the other ingredients at home still)


Here's what I did this time:


All of the ingredients.  The ones on the cutting board are about to be chopped up & steamed. The large container in the back is fresh basil, I didn't use all of this, only maybe 1/2 cup loosely packed.  I also only used about 1/2 of that head of cauliflower, but since I planned to blend everything, I used about 3/4 to 1 cup of soaked cashews, to balance all the extra veggies. 

Being Steamed.  I added the carrot and cauliflower first, because they are harder and take longer to steam.  Then after a few minutes added the zucchini and broccoli.
All in the Vitamix, ready to be blended!  (note, I added the spinach last/didn't steam it because it would blend up regardless and figured it would preserve more nutrients this way)
Blended up!
Portioned.  I know it looks like some kind of ecto-cooler or something, but if you have a love for healthy food, and are open minded to try new foods, I promise you will love this. 

I'm going to freeze some to see how it comes out.
The ONLY thing I don't like about my Vitamix is the odd shape of the container, and the fact that the bottom/blade doesn't come off to it's really hard to scrape everything out of it even with a rubber spatula.  :(   I do want to try it with a food processor too but my food processor isn't as big. 



So there you have it.  Spring (or summer or winter or fall) soup... So delicious!  I hope you try this, and if you do, please post a comment with your review.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment