Thursday, April 19, 2012

Healthy Burger Recipes! Today a lentil & walnut burger!

I wanted to post and review a few recipes on here, because I haven't done that yet, and I love recipes.  :)

I am going to post my 3 favorite burger recipes.  I started to do them all in one post, but the post became way too long so I'm doing them seperately.  One of the things I like about meatless burgers is that they have they can have the same sides, fixings and appearance of traditional burgers but they're obviously healthier and vegetarian or vegan.  This way, I can make a burger out of ground beef for hubby and a meatless variety for me.  (our son likes both)  So everyone's happy and our plates all look identical.  

The first is for a Lentil & Walnut Burger.  While the texture is definitely different than an actual burger, the flavor is pretty close, and of course, health-wise, it is a much better option.  (No pink slime - a.k.a. ground up intestines washed in ammonia - in this burger!)   What's also nice about this burger is that most of the ingredients are pantry staples of mine, so usually I have almost all of the ingredients on hand, I just need to buy fresh buns from a natural food store when I want to make them.  (I have yet to find suitable bread or buns in traditional supermarkets) 

Anyhow, without further ado, here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cup brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
  • 1 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
  • 2 piece bread, toasted OR 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 4 tsp ground coriander
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 chia/flax "egg" (1 tbsp ground chia or flax + 1/4 cup water)
Preheat oven to 350F.  In a small bowl make the chia or flax egg and set aside.

Place lentils in a medium sauce pan and add about 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes.   While the lentils are cooking, toast the walnuts by placing them on a baking sheet and cooking at 350F for about 10 minutes until golden brown and delicious. Let cool.

In a food processor, process the garlic, walnuts, toasted bread (or breadcrumbs), garlic & spices until combined.

When the lentils are done, drain and rinse.   Now add oil and lentils and pulse until coarsely chopped (some lentils should be visible and left chunky). Add the flax or chia "egg" and pulse a bit more until combined.  Now shape patties with hands (makes about 7 for me, depending on how big yo make them and how much of the mixture you nibble on before hand ;) and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a non-stick mat.  (I use a non-stick baking stone)

Bake at 350F for 20-22 minutes on each side for a total of 40-45 mins.  *Make sure you are gentle with them when you turn them over.  Whatever you do, do NOT up the oven temp in an effort to get them to cook faster.  Trust me, I tried once and they were dry, crumbly and the texture was way off.

Now, for some photos.... (disclaimer, I apologize in advance for the quality of the pics, as I am too lazy to take pictures with my actual camera because I have to upload them.  I always use my cell phone so I can email them to my computer. /disclaimer)

the burgers just after being shaped/before they are baked....


And, just out of the oven.  The outside of the burger gets a thin, crisp layer, while the inside remains more moist and flavorful.  These are good even by themselves - no bun necessary!  


I did, however, use a bun this time, and had them with a side of sweet potato waffle fries.  Sometimes I have a side salad with them instead of fries and I've even eaten steamed broccoli on the side!  :)  Be creative!
I've used ketchup and mustard but BBQ sauce would also be good on these! (natural BBQ sauce of course) 


Here's another pic where I used veganaise, lettuce and tomatoes. 




Do you like meatless burgers? 


1 comment: